green heart

/ 15 February 2012 /
Living on my own in a rented space has made me crave for hobbies. Not that I don't already have gazillions. I guess it's the homebody in me that started to itch for a cute living creature to take care of.

Unfortunately, I've proven to myself that I cannot take care of mobile living creatures. Firstly, I travel at least twice every year -- that's why my two goldfish, Popoy and Basha, had to gulp their last breath (at the hands of a caretaker). Besides, I realized that I can't really bear to hold animals captive in such a tiny bowl. Secondly and more importantly, I do not even own this house and cannot control things that happen when I'm away at work -- that's why I cannot own a bubbly, carefree little puppy, either.

The idea of keeping a mini-terrarium has appealed to me for a while now (what better way to use Popoy and Basha's bowl!). So when I saw a mini-flower shop stand set up at Divisoria for Valentine season, I swooned. I went right ahead to look, not at the flowers, but at the potted bonsais.

And imagine my joy when I found this little fella waiting for me on Valentine's Day! Thank you, Dan!

The plant vendor told us this particular tree was called the "money-maker", but I figured that's just a Pinoy nickname for it. After some Googling, I've come to the amateur conclusion that this is a fig sycamore. Which is cool because one of my absolute favorite books,"Flipped", features a beautiful chapter about a sycamore tree.

Anyway, Little Tree now sits on my windowsill, making my morning view that much sweeter. :)

Now I'm all the more considering actually putting some other little plants in the fish bowl. Blame this cute example from Martha Stewart:

Yes, I am ambitious. But I'm not exactly inexperienced, you know. When I was nine, I single-handedly kept a little vegetable-and-flower garden in our old backyard, the success of which was proven when my grandmother actually asked to harvest some of those green leafies and cooked them for lunch. *big grin*

But I guess for an indoor 'garden', I'll have to take the baby steps. No, not the mung beans again. Maybe something that looks nicer but is still useful, like green onions. I heard they're really low-maintenance.

What's that? I'm talking like a granny? Oh, pardon me, but I believe that in a world of endless Facebook attention-wh*ring and mindless energy consumption, greenie is the new classy. :D


In memory of Poy and Bash
(I'm sorry I never found out your respective genders.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

on Pinterest?

psyche

Hey, it's Hyacinth. Here's where I write without expecting to get paid. So here, I share, I curse, I laugh at myself. Hi.

 
Copyright © 2010 psyche, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger